Thursday, April 19

Strawberry Lemonade Muffins

My favorite season of the year is Strawberry Season. And every time I go to the market I can't help myself but buy too many. Today marks week 3 of od'ing on strawberries. I've started to slow down in my constant consumption. It's time to start getting creative with them before they go bad. To that end I found several great strawberry recipes in this month's issue of Southern Living magazine.

This recipe uses only a few ingredients and marks my first time using self-rising flour. The whole thing came together quickly and was a success. It's definitely a recipe to tuck away to use again.



Strawberry Lemonade Muffins 
(from Southern Living Magazine, April 2012)
makes: 15 muffins

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 (8-oz) container sour cream (I didn't have any in the house so used Greek yogurt instead)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 medium-sized lemon)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 400. Combine flour and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
2. Stir together sour cream (yogurt) and next 4 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold strawberries into batter. 
3. Spoon batter into lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over batter. 
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 1 minute; remove from pans to wire rack and cool 10 minutes.


These were so delicious (and I even forgot to sprinkle the top with more sugar). After eating three in only a matter of minutes I decided right then I needed to get them out of the house immediately and mailed most of them to a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment