Monday, April 13

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Today's cookies help me accomplish two different goals.

1.) Find a great CHEWY oatmeal cookie recipe for husband. Oatmeal cookies are his favorite, particularly the chewy kind. I've tried out several recipes in the past but they haven't met with success.

2.) Deliver baked goods to our new neighbors. We live in a good Southern neighborhood, which means you are honorably obliged to introduce yourself to new neighbors, and most often it is done with baked goods and  phone numbers in hand.

This is how we were greeted almost four years ago when we moved in. My how time flies. Out of the seven places we've lived in 12 years time, this place is our favorite and the easiest to really feel at home with great friends and neighbors. It's the longest we've lived anywhere. And honestly I'm quite happy about it. I think southern living suits me.

I discovered a blog that has quickly become a favorite. Two Peas & Their Pod. The recipes look fantabulous! And from the success I've had with these oatmeal cookies I'll definitely be back to try out other recipes.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup of raisins

directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl add the raisins and cover with water. Let them sit for five minutes. This will help plump them up.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Blend until combined. Stir in the oats and raisins.
Spoon about a tablespoon of dough into a round ball, leaving space between each cookie. They will spread a little. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes. Take them out when they are golden at the edges but still a little under baked in the middle. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.


I'm trying to find some restraint to not eat the entire batch. It made about 2.5 dozen... I could easily eat one dozen right now.



*Update* Evidently these cookies are a huge hit. Husband and friends all loved them. We had 80's movie night at my house that evening and everyone together devoured all 3 dozen cookies. I had to make another batch to photograph for my blog and to deliver to the new neighbors. 

Happily I think I have found my signature oatmeal cookie recipe! 

**Update Number 2** 
For another unique twist on Oatmeal Raisin cookies try these Carrot Cake Oatmeal Raisin Cookies also by Two Peas and their Pod. They were a hit at Easter and a fun way to use up all those carrots I have from the farmers market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment