Tuesday, May 22

Banana Nut Bread

Ever since a friend mentioned smelling banana bread baking in the oven, I've been scheming for the perfect morning to do so. - I finally found one.




Banana bread is one of my go-to recipes. This particular one came from a Cooking Lite magazine from the early 90's. I've only made small modifications to it over the years. It's a favorite.






And I picked up a fun habit from Nigella when cooking; always fix a nice cocktail, or in this case, a fancy latte, to enjoy while working.


Banana-Nut Bread

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (the recipe says 3 bananas but I like it better using 4)
1/2 cup sugar (if bananas are super ripe I use less, if not so much I use more)
1/4 cup butter, melted (I substitute some of the butter with ground flax seed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg white
2 cups all-purpose flour (lately I use half all-purpose & half whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less)
1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts), toasted

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; stir in nuts. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring until just moistened. Spoon batter into a loaf pan coated with baking spray and then flour. (I coat with butter and dust with flour.) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are slightly browned. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
[Calories 158, Protein 3.2g, Fat 5.3g, Carbs 24.6g, Fiber 1g]
Enjoy your morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment