Tuesday, June 5

Israeli Breakfast (Eggs in Tomatoes, Chickpeas & Feta)

Most mornings I eat Greek yogurt, berries and homemade granola. But I'm out of my granola and need to buy more oatmeal before I can whip up another batch. I tried without the granola yesterday, but it's just not the same without the crunch. So what am I in the mood for??? Well, I happened to have chickpeas and canned tomato in my pantry. And most importantly, feta cheese in the fridge. I thought of this filling Israeli recipe from a Bon Appetit, issue December 2011. I've made it once before. I love the flavors - something very different than my normal fare.


Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas and Feta



Saute garlic, jalapenos and onions in oil. Add can of chickpeas and ground cumin & sweet Hungarian paprika. Stir in canned tomatoes. The recipe calls for whole peeled tomatoes, I used diced. Cook on stove top for a bit for sauce to thicken. Sprinkle with feta. Crack 6-8 eggs on top depending upon what fits nicely in your pan. Bake in 425 degree oven for 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro & parsley. (For full recipe click here.)

You're supposed to cook until the whites are just set and yolks are still runny. I tend to always overcook it a bit. I forget that the whites will setup a bit more even after taking it out of the oven. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment